Monday, June 22, 2015

Assembling of the Avengers


Due to my recent obsession with Marvel and the Avengers in the particular, I decided to put my efforts into an ambitious art project.  For weeks, I have been looking for a particular styled poster of the Avengers.  With no luck, it only made sense that I would try to create one myself.

A lot of time was put into the preparation phase.  My first step was to decide which heroes I wanted to be in the drawing.  The second step was to go through countless drawings and pictures of each hero so I can form an overall rough draft.  The third step was to put them all together, arranging them in a way that would look best (the picture above was my final draft).  The last step was the most daunting, actually drawing it.

For weeks, I figured I had to freehand it and to just draw it, however, Brian Vu came through in a clutch.  He was aware of my project and offered his projector to help.  Thus started our weekly drawing sessions where I would slowly trace every character on a giant 25x36 poster by pencil.  After three weeks, I was finally done with all the pencil tracing.  The hardest part was yet to come.  The last and final step was to go over every line with a pen, as well as adding shadows and other details to make the picture come to life.  After a few more sessions with Brian, I was ready to take home the project to work on it full-time.  Each stroke of the pen was an anxiety attack and frequent breaks were needed just so I can rest my hands.  This project took about a month to finish, but I am very satisfied with the result.

Avengers Assemble!

No comments:

Post a Comment